Sunday, March 14, 2010

(500) Days of Summer



Anyone who tells you that (500) Days of Summer is a romcom might be an "evil, emotionless, miserable human being" or a "robot." (Romantic comedies have rules, we're not in 'Nam...am I wrong?). We are told in the first few minutes by the narrator that we should be warned that this is no love story, yet I was a sucker and ignored the warning. This resulted in an emotionally draining and painful movie experience in which any experienced adult will relive at least one horrifyingly painful memory of the ghosts of relationships past. I wish I could say I hated this movie and that it was horrible. I can't. It's really good storytelling in the spirit of "Eternal Sunshine", which I absolutely loved. Everything about the movie was great...except how it made me feel at the end. Unfortunatley, a movie is ultimately judged on how it leaves me not on how it got me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment